10.27.2008

Take

Take. The word is in and of itself a very selfish word. It is one of those words that brings emotion to the surface, whether to display bitterness or guilt. It is also the title of a recently released independent film starring Minnie Driver and Jeremy Renner. The film is based on two days in the lives of two strangers, Ana and Saul, portrayed by Driver and Renner.
"I was attracted to this film by the brave and compelling nature of the story itself," said Driver. "It took me on an emotional journey that was impossible to prepare for. I think it forces you to expand your spirit and connect with something bigger than yourself."
The lead characters in the story meet for only a few brief moments during the entire film, but their chance meeting tragically changes their lives forever.
"This experience has presented a crossroads in my mind, questioning what I thought I knew and what I wish to be true about the human spirit, life, and ultimately, the death penalty," said Jeremy Renner, after discussing the challenges of portraying his difficult character.
The film strays from the Hollywood norms of revenge for what is lost. It is driven by a belief by writer-director Charles Oliver, a graduate in Humanities from Brigham Young University.
"In Take, I wanted to explore how far the heart could go with this kind of resentment before it would fold in on itself. I wanted to examine the idea of forgiveness as a mechanism of survival - having nothing to do with whether someone deserves it and everything to do with our own need to forgive."
Take has been rated 'R' for "some violent content with intense emotional impact," according to the Motion Picture Association of America website.
For more information on the film, click here.

No comments: